Hi,

I have a pretty significant problem when inserting records in to 2
tables (Parent/child). In the Parent table the records are 25 bytes, and
the child records are 80 bytes. The Parent table has an auto inc field
which I retrieve using 'mysql_insert_id()' to populate the ownerID in
the child table.

When the record count gets over a couple of million, the inserts slow
down to a crawl. I ran a test application over the weekend, and we
started off inserting roughly 1 million records in +- 20 minutes, but by
the time we'd inserted 9 million records it had taken over 10 hours!
We're running this on a dedicated server (Dual 2GHz Xeon procesors with
SCSI hard drive, 1 GB RAM),so I don't think the hardware is the
issue.It's running Red Hat 8 and MySQL 4.0, and we're using a slightly
modified version of the My-Large.cnf file.

Thanks,
--
Jason H. West
Software Engineer