At 23:05 +0000 3/11/03, Lai Liu-yuan wrote:
Hi, everyone.

I use blob to store image data in mysql. I use mysql_real_query to store it, but did not use mysql_real_escape_string to process it before hand.

Then I saw in the document that this is needed. But I am testing the data stored by reading them out to do some processing, there seems no segmentation fault happened.

By the way, when I stored the image, I stored the width and height also into the database. I read the image out for processing alsa based on these two variables. So if the image data is truncated due to special characters, there should be segmentation fault, shouldn't it?

So, back to the question, is mysql_real_escape_string needed when storing blob data?

It's needed for *all* values, except those you're absolutely certain contain no special characters.