Hi,
I am having major problems with persistant database connections on a resident process in java.

My database connection url looks like this:

jdbc:mysql://balti/log?autoReconnect=true&user=root&password=pineapple

But it does not appear to be reconnecting because if I go into /etc/my.cnf and set variable wait_timout to be 3 seconds or so I get the usual java Communication Link exception, meaning the the connection has gone idle and no attempt has been made to reconnect.
the version I am using is mysql-connector-java-3.0.6-stable.

Another curious factor is that the wait_timout applies to my java connections but not when I run mysql as root.

Why is this?

The mysql version is mysql-max-4.0.9-gamma-pc-linux-i686

The most disturbing thing is that the url autoReconnect seems to not be working.
Emma.