        I attempted to use the binary distribution available for
        the Tru64 5.1 OS that is available from the download site, but the
        mysql_install_db script crashes:

Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
./scripts/mysql_install_db: 107759 Bad system call - core dumped
Installation of grant tables failed!

        I thought it might be that my OS was slightly different, so
        I tried to build the source distribution using the simple flags
        shown below.  The configure script completed and then I ran gnumake
        and gnumake install -- which both compiled without error.  Again,
        when I run the mysql_install_db script it hangs up right at the same
        spot after the "Installing all prepared tables" output comment.  This
        is the point in the script  when
        it is supposed to insert data into the newly created mysql database.
        I then tried to run safe_mysqld --skip-grant-tables &.  I can start the
        server and the client.  I can create a database and a table, but when
        I try to insert data into that table, it hangs up.

        <precise description  of the problem (multiple lines)>
>How-To-Repeat:

        ./scripts/mysql_install_db

>Fix:

>Submitter-Id:  <submitter ID>
>Originator:
>MySQL support: [none | licence | email support | extended email support ] none
>Synopsis:      mysql_install_db script hangs up when inserting data
>Severity:       critical
>Category:      mysql
>Class:          support
>Release:       mysql-3.23.55 (Source distribution)
>Environment:

System: OSF1 gondolin.pha.jhu.edu V5.0 1094 alpha
Machine: alpha
Some paths:  /usr/local/bin/perl /bin/make /usr/local/bin/gmake /bin/cc
Compilation info: CC='cc -pthread'  CFLAGS='-O2'  CXX='cxx -pthread -O'
CXXFLAGS='-O2'  LDFLAGS=''
LIBC:
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        17 Dec 31  1995 /lib/libc.a -> ../ccs/lib/libc.a
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     system        17 Dec 31  1995 /usr/lib/libc.a ->
../ccs/lib/libc.a
Configure command: ./configure '--prefix=/home/leslieh/bin'
'--exec-prefix=/home/leslieh/bin' '--with-named-thread-libs=-lpthread -lmach -lexc
-lc' 'CC=cc -pthread' 'CFLAGS=-O2' 'CXXFLAGS=-O2' 'CXX=cxx -pthread -O'
Perl: This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for alpha-dec_osf