On 14 Mar 2003, at 0:28, felix t wrote:

> I would like to ask for some ideas on how to build
> such a dictionary given that I can not use more than
> one set of characters in mysql server. ( the russian
> words need on set of characters , the french ones
> another ).

Presumably you're using Unicode, so that you can display both French
and Russian on the same page.  It might work for you to store the
words as plain binary data in your tables, since the character set is
relevant mostly for sorting and you won't be doing that unless you're
going to allow browsing through the dictionary entries as opposed to
looking up individual ones.  You'd also have to take care of letter
case in your application rather than in MySQL, so that you can store
your values as (for example) all lowercase and then convert your
search string to lowercase before putting it into your query.

I haven't actually done anything with character sets yet, so I could
be missing an important point.  Maybe someone with more experience
will chime in if I have.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tobacco Documents Online