Okay, got the system up and running locally.  The programmer wants to be
able to access the MySQL server via the internet. We have MySQL
installed on a Linux server, this sits behind a firewall with port 3306
opened.  The programmer has phpMyAdmin installed on his laptop (Widows
XP Pro).  We keep getting a 'cannot connect to server on 'domain''
error.  Also I want to have a logfile setup to log this type of
problem.  I see nothing in the /var/log/messages or /var/log/mysql.log.
In /etc/my.cnf I have the following:
[mysqld]
datadir =3D /var/lib/mysql
socket =3D /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock

[mysql.server]
user =3D mysql
basedir =3D /var/lib

[safe_mysqld]
err-log =3D /var/log/mysqld.log
log =3D /var/log/mysqlquery.log
pid-file =3D /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Will changing the line that contains the myql.sock to tcp help?

Any suggestions?
Thanks
--
Jon Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>