From: Charles Kline [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, March 15, 2003 20:53
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie Query Question

Hi all,

My first post to this list.

I have a query which I can't quite get to work. I was hoping that
someone here could educate me a bit. I have two tables.

tbl_people

|  id    |     fname    |    lname    |
---------------------------------------
|  1     |    frank       |    smith      |

tbl_peoples_interests

|  id   |   interest_id   |   person   |
|  1    |   500               |     1           |
|  2    |   504               |     1           |

So... basically what I am trying to do is find the person and join them
with their interests, but I need to get ALL their interests and I need
to be able to access the values of each interest separately. Here is
what I have, but both

SELECT  DISTINCT p.fname AS firstname, p.lname AS lastname,
int_1.interest_id AS int_a, int_2.interest_id AS int_b FROM
tbl_personnel AS p, tbl_peoples_interests AS int_1,
tbl_peoples_interests AS int_2 WHERE int_1.person = p.id AND
int_2.person = p.id AND p.id = 1

what I get back has 500 for both int_a and int_b

Thanks
Charles