At 19:21 +0100 3/16/03, Tor R. Skoglund (NextG) wrote:
Hi List, regarding the foreign key definitions:

[CONSTRAINT symbol] FOREIGN KEY (index_col_name, ...)
                  REFERENCES table_name (index_col_name, ...)
                  [ON DELETE {CASCADE | SET NULL | NO ACTION
                              | RESTRICT}]
                  [ON UPDATE {CASCADE | SET NULL | NO ACTION
                              | RESTRICT}]

Is there a default action for ON DELETE and ON UPDATE if no action
is specified in the database definition?

The NO ACTION action seems to cover this. :-)

I presume RESTRICT makes it impossible to delete a record from the parent table if there are any references from a child record to the parent for that key?

It's unimplemented.

The MySQL documentation on the web does not seem to say anything about this...

Best regards, Tor Rune Skoglund [EMAIL PROTECTED]

sql query

-- Paul DuBois http://www.kitebird.com/ sql, query