I have Mandrake 8.2 installed and had MySQL loaded during the system
installation.I have questions about the location of MySQL and where I
should unpack the MySQL graphical interface(s) to install. I have the
MySQLCC (version glibc-0.8.10) in a tarball, MySQL Client (version
3.23.7-5.3) in an RPM and MySQL GUI Linux semi-static (version 1.7.5) in
a tarball. I have the directions to install these but the directions and
the locations I have on my Linux install don't seem to match. Most of
the time the documentation points to "/usr/local" as the location to
install--there are no MySQL directories or files in /usr/local or in any
of the other sub-directories. I'm doing all of this as "root", of
course.

Which of the above interfaces to MySQL should be used? I have MySQL
3.23.7-5.3mdk installed.

Can any Mandrake user direct me to how the Mandrake distro matches up
with the documented directory locations in MySQL documentation? I hate
to start the install from an incorrect location and cause conflicts
along the line. Any and all help would be appreciated.

-*-Bill