Thanks Paul, that works great.
Yes, I meant to say the table animals, not bug_master.

                    Paul DuBois

                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED], [EMAIL
PROTECTED]
                    t>                   cc:

                                         Subject:     Re: Newbie - How can I insert
new data with the current
                    03/15/2003            date/time?

                    10:37 AM

At 8:37 -0600 3/15/03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have a table called animals (using the example in the MySQL guide). I have a
>datetime column type.
>Here is the table:

Looks like it's called bug_master, not animals. :-)

>create table bug_master (
>                id MEDIUMINT NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
>                name CHAR(30) NOT NULL,
>                date DATETIME NOT NULL,
>                PRIMARY KEY (id)
>           );
>
>I want to do a simple insert into the table with the current date
>and time, i.e.
>the system date.
>I'm having some problems finding the correct sql syntax to do this.
>Could anyone
>help with this?
>Do I need a Now() function?

That's exactly right.

>insert into animals <the rest of the query??>;

INSERT INTO bug_master (id,name,date) VALUES(id_val,name_val,NOW());

--
Paul DuBois
http://www.kitebird.com/