You did not create 'root'. You set the root password to 'therootpassword'
Did you enter the same password you set?
Enter Password :  therootpassword

Chien-Lung Wu wrote:

hi,experts:

I installed mysql (3.23.49, server & client) at my NT4.0 machine.
As I unziped and set up mysql, everything seemed fine ( I used winmysqladmin
to start mysqld-nt server). That mean that
the mysql server is running.

However, when I create 'root' with mysqladmin command as follows:

-->g:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root password 'therootpassword'

and then try to see the status og mysql using following command:

        -->g:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root -p status
            Enter Password: ************

I got the error message:
        mysqladmin: coonect to server at 'localhost' failed
        error: 'Access denied for user:[EMAIL PROTECTED]' ,Using password:
Yes>'

Are there any mis-configuration in my installing process. Can anyone show me
how to fix this problem? Thanks.

Chien-Lung