Mark,

Thanks for your note. I did read this page in the manual, especially this
paragraph.

<<
The default privileges on Windows give all local users full privileges to
all databases without specifying a password. To make MySQL more secure, you
should set a password for all users and remove the row in the mysql.user
table that has Host='localhost' and User=''.

You should also add a password for the root user. The following example
starts by removing the anonymous user that has all privileges, then sets a
root user password:

C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysql mysql
mysql> DELETE FROM user WHERE Host='localhost' AND User='';
mysql> QUIT
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin reload
C:\> C:\mysql\bin\mysqladmin -u root password your_password

In my example, you will see that I did DELETE FROM user to remove all rows
where username is blank. However, I did not reload the service. When I did,
it now looks like the correct behavior is happening.

-ms