On Wed, 2003-03-19 at 03:27, Daniel Kasak wrote:
> Anyone know whether this is a bad idea or not (gcc-2.95.3)?
> I previously (MySQL-4.0.5 or so) built a server with -march=k6 which
> seemed to run OK apart from crashing when I did a very particular select
> on one table, but I was never sure whether that was because of a damaged
> table or because of my CFLAGS.
> So is it safe?

It is safe. At least until you do not hit some compiler bug.

But bad side-effect is that with -march compiler uses non-compatible
optimizations. This code may not work anymore on any other processor.
This is what differs it from -mcpu flag.

If you look into configure scripts of MySQL, you see -march commented
out because same reason.

  Tõnu