I think is better to have an additional record each time a user inserts new information

Mr Orange wrote:
Hello all,

I have a database with a type "longtext" called "notes".

Say I wanted to append some text to this field, what command would I use?

I have tried the following sql..
  update clients set notes=notes+"text to append" where id=1;

But this doesn't seem to do the job.

I am new to MySQL so sorry if I've asked an obvious question!

Many thanks in advance,

Steve.

PS. What is needed is a database to store notes on each client which can be added to as necessary. If anyone has a better idea of a way to do this, I'd be very grateful for any help! Cheers.