I'm not sure if a LEFT JOIN is the proper way of doing
the following to join two tables to one table (table2
and table3 to columns in table1).

Currently, I have no problems joining table2 to table1
through the following SELECT statement:

SELECT DISTINCT
table1.column1,
table2.column1,
table2.column2
FROM table1
LEFT JOIN table2
USING (column1);

What would be the expansion of this to I can add
table3 to this SELECT statement and have (for example)
table1.column3 = table3.column3?

Although the following SELECT statement is not
correct, it would logically do something like the
following:

SELECT DISTINCT
table1.column1,
table1.column3,