Andrew,

> In phpMyAdmin 2.3.0 the 'Or Location of the textfile ' instead of running a sql
> statement does this have to be a txt file or can it be a .sql file?
> Or if it is a .sql can I just rename the file so it is a txt file?

The file extension doesn't matter. The .sql files PhpMyAdmin wants in
that place consist merely of statement like these:

DROP TABLE /* IF EXISTS */ tbl;
CREATE TABLE tbl;
INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (...);

> Why is importing a large file inot MySQL so damn difficult.  It would be so easy
> for the backup not to happen as opposed to easily backing up a DB that cannot be
> restored.  Its like having a nice pair of shoes you cant wear!

It's not difficult, but rather very easy ;-)

What can make it difficult, though, are limits you can hit here and
there. Such typical limits include:

a) The communications buffer size. By default, it's 1 megabyte. If you
have larger queries in your .sql files (like some multi-row inserts),
the import will fail because that buffer size is too small. Use
another tool, if you can (mysql --max-allowed-packet=32M).

b) PHP script timeout. Some ISPs set this limit to 30 seconds (a
reasonable time would rather be 300 seconds, and even that can be too
little). Check with a script containing just the phpinfo() call
(PhpMyAdmin has a file called phpinfo.php that contains that call).

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>