Hello All,

To start, I'm new to the list.  My name is Mark Armendariz, currently
from Brooklyn NY.

Now for my question. I recently had a site go ballistic because of a
huge query I had with about 10 joins and some funky weirdness.  It was
locking my db and using a temporary db, it was ugly.  So, due to this
screw up on my part, I've begun to learn about the EXPLAIN command.  And
In learning about it, I've found a few resources about how to use the
command, with a few comments about what to do with the data, but not
many.

Here's the articles I've read.

http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mysql/article.php/1382791

http://docs.biostat.wustl.edu/cgi-bin/info2html?(mysql.info.gz)EXPLAIN

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/EXPLAIN.html

All of these do a great job of explaining how to use EXPLAIN, but what
I'm really looking for is how to manage, change and plan my database to
create better results.  I believe I have a pretty decent grasp on
normalization and general database planning (can never stop learning  I
suppose) and I really wish I could afford the seminars and classes, but
at the moment. not happening.

So, can anyone here recommend good resources for efficient database
development and management and powerful and efficient queries? (The
queries being the more important for me at the moment)

Thank You for reading and I look forward to being part of the list.

Mark Armendariz