On 3/24/03 10:37 AM, "R. Hannes Niedner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 3/24/03 7:41 AM, "Shawn P. Garbett" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How can one allow a user to change their mysql password securily?
> >
> > If I do a grant update on the user table, then a user could change
> > anyone's password. I just want a user to be able to change their
> > password. Is this possible?
> >
> > Shawn
>
> One way of doing it is to wrap this functionality in your middleware (perl,
> php, java...). Then you can grant the database user used by the middleware
> update privileges on the whole user table and authorize the user identity
> f. E. via web form and let the user only change it's own username after he
> successfully reproduced it's own userid/password.

This defeats the purpose of using MySQL's user table to manage users and
privileges. The middleware now has to keep somewhere a user/password combo,
increasing the chance of a security leak. Now if the user hacks the
middleware, then they have control of everyone's password.

There should be some way to allow a user of mysql to change their own
password, without opening up security problems.

One of the principles of security is that of "least privilege". Meaning
restrict a user to the least privileges required to do their work at the
lowest level. MySQL offers a nice set of privilege control.

If user accounts are tracked in MySQL and a user hacks the middleware, then
they still can't wreck much havoc. This is because their user/password combo
is very limited in what it can do. Now on the converse if they had a widely
privileged database user controlling the middleware, the sky is the limit.

Shawn