Hi!

On Mar 23, Nick Arnett wrote:
> I'm trying to create a full-text index on a large (2.1GB, 1.6M records), two
> column table (primary key and a TEXT field), using MySQL 4.0.12 on Win2000.
> All looks like it is proceeding well, I see .TMP files in the database
> directory and a couple of temporary files in TEMP.  It chugs along for an
> hour or so, then seems to stop doing anything at all.  The process is not
> using any CPU cycles or I/O.  The first time I tried this, I left it
> overnight, so it had many, many hours to complete.
> The error log shows nothing related to this.

This *looks* like MySQL is doing "repair with keycache" instead of
"repair by sorting". The first one can be two orders of magnitude
slower. Check SHOW PROCESSLIST.

Though, no I/O and no CPU activity is suspicious.

Double-byte characters are not supported yet.
Single-byte chars with ASCII > 127 are no problem - just be sure you
set proper character set, as fulltext parser uses isalpha().

> A couple of related feature ideas for FT indexing -- skip words over N
> chars, skip records using a WHERE clause.

First one is done - there is server variable ft_max_word_len, see the
manual for details.

The second one is hardly possible because of MySQL modular design.
WHERE evaluation and indexing are done on different levels of code.

Though, technically, it's possible to add hooks, making SQL features
(e.g. WHERE expression) available to storage engines (where indexing is
done) it is not planned to be done anytime soon.

Regards,
Sergei

--
MySQL Development Team