MySQL 4.0.12, MSW2k. Here's what's puzzling me --

I set up a new user yesterday. I'm pretty sure I was able to connect as
the user from the command line yesterday, before I shut my machine down
and went home. I can't today.

I have this user entry in my mysql.user table:

| localhost | fromWeb | <scrambled-password> | N | ...

and this in mysql.db:

| localhost | webtable | fromWeb | Y | Y | N | N | ...

with all columns not listed set to 'N'.

I can connect as fromWeb using the php MySQL functions and read the
database without problems. (I can also connect as root from the MSW2k
command line. Root has an entry for localhost and another for my TCP-IP
numeric address, but I've disabled the password in the TCP-IP entry.)

When I give

    mysql -h localhost -u fromWeb -p

It complains

    "ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using
     password: YES)".

I've tried copy/pasting the password from the php source, too, just to
be sure. So I'm wondering a couple of things --

First, what should I be looking for as a cause of this behavior? Is it
likely something I did while setting the user up, that I've forgotten
about and just can't find in the manual today?

Second, why does it complain about the loopback when I said localhost on
the command line? Could this have something to do with named pipes?

--
Joel Rees <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>