Miso Simovic schrieb:

when i try to run the MySQL server, this happens:
[EMAIL PROTECTED] root]# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/lib/mysql
030324 21:09:10  mysqld ended

1) You have to "be" in the /usr directory and type ./bin/save_mysqld

2) This will block the shell where you are in. (No real problem)
   So type  ./bin/save_mysqld &

3) Now for the immediate stop: I had a hard time until I found out that this happens when I use midnight-commander (mc) as shell.
Starting mysqld on a plain console works.

4) Did you create and edit a suitable  /etc/my.cnf  ?
   Read the documentation about this.

5) in the data-directory should be an err file where you may find other hints what mysqld doesn't like to stay up.
Look for it here :
/var/lib/mysql
or
/usr/local/mysql/data
or
/usr/local/mysql/var

6) What distribution do you use and where did the mysql RPM come from ?
Probaply your distribution puts mysql's files under /usr but the RPM uses the "proper" location /usr/local/mysql ? Then you have two conflicting sets of files on your computer.