This is because MySQL requires all rows to be read from a server-side
connection before issuing another query on that connection, Andy Dustman
tells me.  It doesn't seem to be a problem as long as you do, in fact, read
all the rows, so this is more an issue of the way I was testing than the
real world.

Nick