Error 13 is a permissions denied problem.
Make sure the data directories and files are owned by mysql.

Bill Davies wrote:

I am having trouble getting MySQL 3.23.51 running on macOS X 10.1.5 (Darwin)

** First it won't let me assign a root password, I think because it's not running.

Trying to change root password error:
/usr/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61)'
Check that mysqld is running and that the socket: '/tmp/mysql.sock' exists!

** Then it won't let me start it in safe mode, because the grant tables are not set up right, according to the documentation...

Trying to start in safe mode error:
[www:/usr] root# /usr/bin/safe_mysqld &
[1] 14259
[www:/usr] root# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/var
030326 11:13:03  mysqld ended

Log reports:
InnoDB: Starting log scan based on checkpoint at
InnoDB: log sequence number 0 43892
InnoDB: Doing recovery: scanned up to log sequence number 0 43892
030326 10:49:12 InnoDB: Flushing modified pages from the buffer pool...
030326 10:49:13 InnoDB: Started
030326 10:49:13 /Library/MySQL/libexec/mysqld: Can't find file: './mysql/host.frm' (errno: 13)
030326 10:49:13 mysqld ended

So I feel like I am going around in a circle.

Anyone have a clue? Or should I bail and try the more GUI-oriented Jaguar versions on a Jaguar machine?

Bill Davies MacNexus Sacramento Macintosh User Group