I've tried it both as fixed (char) and variable (varchar). Interestingly
when I set is as char when building the table, MySQL changes it to varchar
sometimes (but not always).

Here's a structure dump:
CREATE TABLE soldierMain (
  id int(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  timeadded varchar(14) NOT NULL default '',
  lastupdate timestamp(14) NOT NULL,
  name varchar(50) default NULL,
  email varchar(40) NOT NULL default '',
  status tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Here's what it looked like when I ran the import:

CREATE TABLE soldierMain (
  id int(20) NOT NULL auto_increment,
  timeadded varchar(14) NOT NULL default '',
  lastupdate timestamp(14) NOT NULL,
  name char(50) default NULL,
  email char(40) NOT NULL default '',
  status tinyint(1) NOT NULL default '0',
  PRIMARY KEY  (id)
) TYPE=MyISAM;

Incidentally - I waited a long time to post my own issue to this list and
I'm quite pleased by the responsiveness and ideas I'm getting. Thanks to all
that are consider the issues I'm having.

Dan