Hi,

On Thu, Mar 27, 2003 at 05:35:22PM -0500, Gary Huntress wrote:
> > >I have noticed on many occasions some extensive traffic on my internal
> > >network that I cannot explain.   Below you will see two sets of tcpdump
> > >traces.   I have a mysql server running on my internal host named
> > >"herzegbol" and a windows 98 host named shelbyville
> > >
> > >This trace is when the MySQL server is running:
> > >14:33:45.886159 eth1 > herzegbol.mysql > shelbyville.2333: S
> > >700834979:700834979(0) ack 2360059956 win 5792 <ms
> [snip]
> > >
> > >This trace is after I issue mysqladmin shutdown:
> > >14:32:09.886091 eth1 > herzegbol.mysql > shelbyville.2333: R 0:0(0) ack
> > >2360059956 win 0 (DF)
> [snip]
> > >
> > >The reason this is confusing to me is that the traffic originates on the
> > >mysql server "herzegbol" via the mysql port and the destination is the
> > >windows box on dozens of ports and there is no program or process on the
> > >windows machine that is connected to the database server.    As far as I
> can
> > >tell there is absolutely no reason for Herzegbol to talk to shelbyville,
> yet
> > >this traffic will pop up almost every day for a period of time and swamp
> my
> > >network.  I would like to identify the source and understand the cause.

[snip] :)

> Unless I discover something else, I'm going to assume this is not a mysql
> problem.

This all happens at the level of the TCP stack, so MySQL couldn't be
involved I guess. Could you try running tcpdump -n to make sure the
DNS or host tables aren't goofed up? TCP stacks don't just reply to
unsent packets.

Regards,

Fred.

--
Fred van Engen                              XB Networks B.V.
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                Televisieweg 2