I'd like to know about any potential issues of choosing a char(32) as
the column type of a primary key instead of BIGINT or some other numeric
type.  A little background.

I would like to generate a unique identifier to use as a primary key for
our application instead of using an AUTOINCREMENT column.  This is to
give us database independence.  I've seen several algorithms that will
generate a GUID based on timestamp, machine IP, etc and return a 32 byte
string that is guaranteed unique.  However, there are concerns that
joins using this key versus a large integer would cause performance
problems as the table grows.

Would joins of tables with character based primary keys be slower than
those with numeric based keys?  Has anyone had experience implementing a
character-based primary key in a table of non-trivial size (> 500,000
rows)?  Thanks for any assistance or pointers.

Aaron
[EMAIL PROTECTED]