Hi!

Stephan> Hi all!
Stephan> I've downloaded the binary distribution
Stephan> mysql-standard-4.0.9-gamma-sun-solaris2.9-sparc-64bit.tar.gz from
Stephan> www.mysql.org.

Stephan> I have a couple of databases on this installation, with all tables of
Stephan> type MyISAM. However, on first start of mysqld the error log contains:

Stephan>     030226 12:39:48  mysqld started
Stephan>     InnoDB: The first specified data file ./ibdata1 did not exist:
Stephan>     InnoDB: a new database to be created!
<cut>

Stephan> The InnoDB files are created in the standard data directory; I did not
Stephan> configure any InnoDB Option, since we are not currently using InnoDB.

Stephan> What's wrong? Why do I get InnoDB datafiles (ib_arch_log_0000000000,
Stephan> ib_logfile0,  ib_logfile1, ibdata1) with only MyISAM Tables?

In MySQL 4.0 InnoDB is included as standard.  As MySQL can't by
default know if you are going to use Innodb tables or not it creates
on startup the necessary files so that you can use Innodb tables.

These files will not be used if you aren't using InnoDB tables.

If you are only using MyISAM tables and don't wont to have the above
files (and save a bit of memory), you can start mysqld with the
--skip-innodb option or put this into your my.cnf file.

Regards,
Monty

--
MySQL 2003 Users Conference -> http://www.mysql.com/events/uc2003/