> I assumed to store the data in mysql you did something like uuencode and
> inserted that data into the db?
> Could the decode method be different on redhat 7.3?

Why not just store it in a binary field?

That said, if you are going to use any programming language, why not store
the pointer in the database and the image on the disk?  Only case where
this would be a problem would be if the numbers of images were so large
that the file look up mechanism of the file system began to be a factor.
In cases like that I use a tree of subdirectories tied to something like
ISBM number.

William R. Mussatto, Senior Systems Engineer
Ph. 909-920-9154 ext. 27
FAX. 909-608-7061