check this first in command prompt "mysqladmin ping".
You should receive "Mysql is alive". Otherwise you have to start your service.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Cant connect to Mysql server on 'localhost' (10061)
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 12:11:32 +1000

Does anyone else get this message after installing and attempting to run
mysql (version 4.0.12)??

I downloaded and installed mysql-4.0.12-win.zip file.

then from the command prompt, I typed mysqld to start the service. Then I
typed mysql and I got the error message:

Cant connect to Mysql server on 'localhost' (10061)

Am I doing something wrong ?? I checked and confirmed that mysql is running
as a service on my PC, but I noted when using the
winmysqladmin tool that no mysql server was being specified - probably the
cuase of the problem, but how do I fix it.

THanks to anyone that can help.

Michael Hall
Snr Web Developer
Insurance Council of Australia