I am now pretty sure that I have got my previous problem licked. I am posting the following additional information to the list in order to help others in the future who have the same problem and come across this thread in the list archives.

Here's a really interesting experiment I just did. I set ulimit -u to 50 and restarted mysql. It worked fine until max_used_connectsion and the number of sleeping/persistent connections got up to 45, then it started throwing off the "Can't create thread" error. Then I did ulimit -u 150 and restarted mysql again. This time is worked fine until used_connectsion and the number of sleeping/persistent connections got up to 145, and then it started giving the error. Then I set ulimit -u to unlimited and restarted mysql, and now it's working fine at all load levels. So there seems to be an n-5 rule at work, i.e., whatever ulimit -u is set to minus 5 is the "ceiling" on max_used_connectsion and the number of sleeping/persistent connections. When high load tries to exceed this ceiling, the "Can't create thread" error begins to rear its ugly head.

Also consistent with this theory: the default on my system for ulimit -u is 256, which would explain why in my initial post the "ceiling" I was complaining about was 251.

Good luck to anyone in the future who has this same problem. I hope you are able to find this thread in the archives!

Mike