I've been trying to install MySQL (3.23.55) as a named NT service and using a
specified defaults file and I can't get it to work.

The source code has the example:

mysqld --install-manual mysqldopt --defaults-file=c:\miguel\my.ini

in it. The results in a service ImagePath of

C:\mysql\bin\mysqld-nt --defaults-file=c:\miguel\my.ini mysqldopt

However with this configuration the service refuses to start.

Looking at the code (3.23, 4.0 and 4.1) it looks as if it is getting confused in the
main (in mysqld.cpp) and just calls Service.Init without loading the default file.

Doing the above without a service name works OK, doing it without over-riding the
default-file is OK.

Simon