If the perl program is a daemon, than it can keep the connection open.
If you are running the same perl program many times, it will have to make the connection each time.

Kory Wheatley wrote:

We have a perl cgi program that refreshes every 45 seconds and connects to a mysql database to update records, overtime. This could have 300 people using this same process, because we are queuing user in the database and when they reach queue position 1 and the resources are low, they are redirected to a web login page. Is there a way to keep one persistent connection to the database so that it does have to connection every time in this perl program, because I believe this is causing a load on our UNIX box.