Hi, all...

I've recently configured Courier, postfix and a mysql
database, on Redhat 8.0, and I thought I had it set up
properly (I've followed a few online procedures,
including the one at
http://kirb.insanegenius.net/postfix.html).  Postfix
is now delivering mail fine.  However, I can't get
courier's pop3 or imap server to allow users to
authenticate through mysql to read their mail.

Without going into excessive detail, although config
files can be produced if you think it will help, I
modified the authmysqlrc and the authmodule list
in authdaemonrc, so theoretically courier should be
configured to use mysql, and start up the authmodule (authdaemond),
courier, and the pop3d daemon (let's stick to pop3).
My mail client is configured to specify as the user
account one of the accounts in the mysql database.
The info in the mysql database is set properly (as far
as I can tell), including the id (which is the account
info stored in mysql, something like
"[EMAIL PROTECTED]") both a clear text password, and a
crypted password (using a perl script with salt).  The
authmysqlrc file is set to point to all the fields
using the proper names.

However, pop3 continually generates "Login failed"
messages.  In fact, I've skipped the client altogether
and simply telnet to port 110 on the server, and
provide the username and password - the server thinks
for a few seconds when I provide the password, then
issues a "Login failure" message.

So obviously the pop3d isn't matching up the username
and password properly.  I've banged my head against
this wall for several hours now, and finally decided
to ask for help.

Is there a way to get the pop3d to provide more
verbose information in the logs than just "Login
failure"?  I could probably troubleshoot it myself if
I could figure out what pop3d doesn't like.  Same
thing for the imapd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my
first time for setting up mail to use mysql.  I think
I'm close to getting this working, I'm just missing
something that's probably obvious.

Again, thanks...

     Aj