On Sunday, April 6, 2003, at 10:28 AM, B. van Ouwerkerk wrote:

You don't explain your problem.

First problem is that after doing a clean install of mysql-standard-4.0.12 and following the instructions

  cd /usr/local/mysql
  sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe
  (Enter your password)
  (Press CTRL+Z)
  bg
  (Press CTRL+D to exit the shell)

Then attempting to set the root password as recommended:
        /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'new-password'

which runs without error

followed by:
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h $hostname password 'new-password'

which fails with an error of "hostname: Undefined variable."

An earlier post by Lenz Grimmer mentions a possible issue with the hostname variable so I tried hard coding the host name as follows:
// get the host name
[my-computer:~] my-user-name% hostname
my-computer.local.

// use it to set the password
[my-computer:~] my-user-name% /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin -u root -h my-computer.local. password mypassword
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'my-computer.local.' failed
error: 'Host '10.0.1.5' is not allowed to connect to this MySQL server'
[my-computer:~] my-user-name%

Also tried to run (without the hostname field) which yielded:
[my-computer:~] my-user-name% /usr/local/mysql/din/mysqladmin -u root password mypassword
/usr/local/mysql/din/mysqladmin: Command not found.
[my-computer:~] my-user-name%

At this point, my limited unix skills run out, what now?

You don't even tell which versions you're running.

mysql-standard-4.0.12 on Mac OS 10.2.3

If there is no mysql table then you didn't create it, or you trashed it.

I didn't create it, true, but the documentation never says to do so. I assumed the package installer would handle this as part of the install. Does everyone need to create this table manually? Definitely didn't trash it as I didn't issue any "rm's" or manual deletes in the finder after install, so my suspicion is the installer just doesn't make one.

In the manual you will find references to how to install MySQL on MAC OS X.
http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Mac_OS_X_installation.html

Already followed these to the letter at least 4 times, can't set the password no way no how. without the root password, I can't create any new databases so everything else is just academic.

IMHO your problem needs to be solved via the list. That way someone else can learn from the problem and others don't have to ask the same question over and over.

I would definitely post the full solution and might even whip up a web page for other mac users

You did search the archive.. right?

Yep

One possible problem might be that in my users and groups control panel, attempting to set a mysql user fails with the error:
user mysql already exists
even though it doesn't show up. Might be an old instance from when I tried MySQL a few months ago (also with no luck)
Best I can tell, there wasn't any other mysql files on the system, I deleted them all prior to the install with "rm's"