A good reference, may help (or not):
http://www.entropy.ch/software/macosx/mysql/

Ted Rogers

On Thursday, June 5, 2003, at 03:18 PM, gerald jones - Sun Microsystems - Broomfield United States wrote:

This is a mac os X installation problem: When I download/install the pkg
version of mysql 4.0.13, two directories seem to be missing in
/usr/local/bin/mysql: var/ and run/. So, when I try to run mysqld_safe (or
safe_mysqld), I get errors like:

"
touch: /usr/local/mysql/var/myhostname.err: No such file or directory
Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/var...
"

followed by alot more errors which basically say, "you don't have a var/
directory or a run/ directory". Is this addressed anywhere in the manual?

If I run "sudo ./bin/mysqld_safe", I get the "mysqld ended" error, and this is
what my .err file says about it:

"
Can't start server : Bind on unix socket: No such file or directory
030605 10:59:08 Do you already have another mysqld server running on socket:
/usr/local/mysql/run/mysql_socket ?
030605 10:59:08 Aborting
"
what's going on here, I've been trying to install this for 10 hours???