Richard,

> I just loaded mySql on windows98.
> I try to run it and I get the following messages:
C:\mysql\bin>>mysqld --standalone --console
> 030605 19:10:46  InnoDB: Started
> C:\MYSQL\BIN\MYSQLD.EXE: ready for connections.
> Version: '4.0.13-max-debug'  socket: ''  port: 3306
> I do not get a prompt back. I assume it is hanging?

No, it's not hanging, it's just a server that provides no interfaces
for humans, so you can watch it blinking in your DOS window forever

Use a client program (in another DOS window) to connect to the server,
after you started that server successfully (which you did). You can do
something like this:

C:\mysql\bin> mysql

That client program called mysql (note: not mysqld!) connects to the
server and gives you a prompt. Good luck!

Regards,
--
  Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
  iConnect GmbH <http://iConnect.de>