I'm no Linux expert (barely even a novice) but, from my Windows experience I
think that most applications will from time to time do this sort of thing.
What is important is how long it does it for!

If its a brief surge, its just trying to use the resources to complete the
task quickly. If it takes a while, then there's a problem somewhere.

I'm currently having a similar problem with 40 minute surges on Filemaker
which is giving me a real headache as its going to be a few months before my
MySQL replacement is ready.

Just my 2c (2p actually)

George in Oxford