From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, 06 June, 2003 17:11
Subject: Please help: Can not insert binary data larger than 16 megabytes

Hello --

I am having trouble inserting binary data that is larger than 16
megabytes into a MySQL database table (binary data such as pdf's, gif's,
jpeg's, etc).  Can someone take a look at what I am doing and give me
any suggestions.

If I do insert binary data larger than 16 megabytes I get the following
error code:  Error 2020 : Got packet bigger than 'max_allowed_packet'.
However with MySQL version 4.0.1 and up I should be able to insert
binary data larger than 16 megabytes.  And if you look below at the
my.cnf file I have max_allowed_packet set to 524288000.

I am running MySQL version: mysql  Ver 12.20 Distrib 4.0.13, for
pc-linux (i686)

Database table has the following fields:
Binary_Id            INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT
BinaryName           VARCHAR(40)
BinaryMIMEType       VARCHAR(40)
BinaryData           LONGBLOB

The my.cnf file in /etc looks like the following:
[mysqld]
datadir=/var/lib/mysql
socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
key_buffer_size=500M
max_allowed_packet=524288000

[mysql.server]
user=mysql
basedir=/var/lib
key_buffer_size=500M
max_allowed_packet=524288000

[safe_mysqld]
err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid
key_buffer_size=500M
max_allowed_packet=524288000

[mysql.client]
key_buffer_size=500M
max_allowed_packet=524288000

Here is the funny thing.  If I do a 'mysql --help' I get the following
in the help data:  max_allowed_packet 16777216.  Why would I get this
when I have set max_allowed_packet in my.cnf.

Can anyone help steer me in the right direction?  What am I doing wrong?

--Brad