On Tue, 27 May 2003 15:23:28 -0400, David Shelley wrote:
> Actually it's not FileMaker that the old database is in, it's R:Base.

I haven't heard of R:Base in YEARS.

> I was hoping mySQL supported calculated columns because they're mentioned a
> couple of times in the manual.pdf for version 4.0.3.

What the manual is referring to as "calculated columns" are the columns
in a select statement (like the ones mentioned below). Which isn't what
you are wanting.

> Thanks for the suggestion on select concat ...
> I realize I could do that but I was hoping to make the conversion to mySQL
> with as few code changes as possible to ensure cross compatability with
> various databases. I could also solve this with triggers and/or stored
> procedures if they were supported. Or I could recode the inserts and updates
> but that would also involve code changes.

Well, off hand. I'd say that you are going to have to do some recoding.
Hopefully, someone else will have a better idea.

> .... snip .... snip .....
> You can do what you want on retrieval (or for that matter on INSERTion)
> with:
>
> SELECT CONCAT(fName, ' ', lName) as FullName,
>       (TO_DAYS(eDat) - TO_DAYS(sDat) + 1) as DaysDuration
>       FROM mytable;

---
Listserv only address.
Jeff Shapiro