Alternatively, use InnoDB Hot Backup: http://www.innodb.com/hotbackup.html
This will let you take a real-time backup of your InnoDB tables without taking the server down.

Chris

Rafal Jank wrote:
Dnia Wed, 28 May 2003 12:57:59 +0200
Jarek Jarzebowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> zeznał/a co następuje:

Hi,

I have MySQL 4.0.12 working on Debian Linux box. DB server uses MYISAM and InnoDB tables. MySQL docs shows what is the best way to backup InnoDB tables but I don't want to shutdown db server every backup time.

I suppose it is not a good idea to just copy database files and innodb log files to the safe place because of unwanted rollbacks danger.

What if I use mysqldump to backup databases data, and then I copy innodb log files to the safe place? I suppose I should flush tables first.

You can mysqldump InnoDB tables too. Copying InnoDB files (data or redologs) without shuting down mysql is a bad idea. You can also use mysql replication if you have spare server and do a cold backup from it.