I've just spent the past few days writing this backup script...

http://resume.daevid.com follow the link for it.

It will do weekly full backups on Sunday and daily diff backups. It also
does daily dumps of all databases in the mysql db directory then
combines them into a single .tgz file for storage (I find this more sexy
than the mysqldump -A option which combines them all into a huge dump
file! Yipes). It is best if you have /backups as a separate device
because I mount it rw and then ro when finished storing the backups.
Simply list what you want at the top and use the exclude file to omit
what you don't.

Ideally I'd like to make it so it only backs up the mysql databases that
have changed (diff), but I'm not sure how to determine that, as the
directory doesn't seem to change it's date as I would expect, if the
contents within are updated. Hmmm. Ideas?

Also, I use ctime in my find for the differentials, is mtime a better
choice or does it really matter? Will ctime find all the mtime files
too?

Daevid Vincent
http://daevid.com

Ps. And yes, I sent that as a link in my resume because I'm unemployed
and would love any offers for coding work with PHP, Linux, SQL, etc...
;-)