Someone here (Mike) has been quite kind and responded elaborately to me off-list, thanks Mike!
I wanted to go ahead and put this "final" question here:

In my database that I'm working on I already have data --a 'one to many' people to machines db.

I had made each table with a primary key field (people_id, machine_id), each autoincrementing. Now I see that the machines table needs no primary key. (?) In fact, it should have the same field but it cannot be a primary as one person can have many machines.

My question is: must I manually enter the value from the "people_id" (primary key of "people table") into the machine_id field of the "machines table"? My only question here (unless you see others ;) is must I manually enter these "corresponding" numbers?
If you started to design "without data" so to speak, you would instruct whomever that they need to enter the proper "persons_id" VALUE into the corresponding machine_id, right? Sorry to be redundant!