Newbie doing disaster recovery...oh my.

I'm trying to do some diasaster recovery on a machine running mySQL.  I
could use a little bit of help...even if its pointing me in the right
direction only...

I can see I have some .MYD, .MYI, and .frm files that look to be the
original database files.  I've had to reinstall 3.23.54 mySQL from scratch
on a version 9 machine.  The original install was 3.23.54 on version 7 I
believe.  How do I get it to recognize these database files and wake up to
them.  Is there a way to load this information back into the new system
tables?

Also, in there an .ini file that tells mySQL where to store the database
files...maybe if I could just update that...it would find these files...I
believe I see the system table as well if its the mySQL database.  I've
searched everywhere for maybe a mySQL.ini or something that saves the path
to store the database files but haven't find anything.

Thanks in advance.

Thank You very much.
Michael Barber