The character sets in both mysql severs in linux and windows are the same.
When I query a table which has the same data in spanish with accents I can see the
characters written are different.
My goal is to extract data from one of the data bases and be able to get then to the
other database between linux ands windows without any problem.
Apache is used as web server in both Linux and windows.
Regards.
Carlos Díaz

Stefan Hinz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Carlos,

> We have a hosting provider with a Linux box and an MySql database.
> We have a local Mysql database.
> In both machines I use phpMyAdmin.

On the startpage (right frame) of phpMyAdmin you should see a link
called "Show MySQL system variables". Look what the values of the
variables character_set and character_sets are.

> When I export from Windows to Linux then all the data in Linux is messed up with
> respect to special characters, we work in spanish and all accents are lost and
> converted to some extrange character.
> When I export from Linux to Windows the same thing happens.
> Of course these has to do with character sets.

Most probably the two MySQL servers you are using have different
character sets.

> ¿Any suggestion?

You can find more detailed information here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Character_sets.html

And here:

http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/SHOW_VARIABLES.html

Regards,