Hello Heikki,

"Heikki Tuuri" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I remember someone also reporting a problem that glibc or Linux does not
> allow creation of new threads if one has allocated >= 2 GB user memory. I
> think there are problems in where the OS places the excutable, thread
> stacks, etc.

We are running a mysql-server which has a innodb_buffer_pool_size of
2040 MB, 128MB Query Cache, 16MB key_buffer and is running ~ 250
threads. We are way past 2GB and running very stable.

As our dataset has grown we need to increase the size of the
innodb_buffer_pool_size. But malloc fails when innodb_buffer_pool_size >
2GB. The comments in glibc (malloc/malloc.c) explains this as predicted
behavior.

We are considering to remove the paranoia checks from glibc and to see
whether we are able to malloc more than 2GB in one go. But I believe
someone must have done this before... (?)

> So it is uncharted territory.

:(

> ..

We are saving up cash for an Opteron now. :)

--
Per Andreas Buer