Nils:

sorry for the delay getting back to you.

this morning we modified the variables mentioned below. Following are current 'time'
related values . . .

+--------------------------+-------+
| Variable_name            | Value |
+--------------------------+-------+
| connect_timeout          | 30    |
| delayed_insert_timeout   | 300   |
| flush_time               | 0     |
| innodb_lock_wait_timeout | 50    |
| interactive_timeout      | 28800 |
| long_query_time          | 30    |
| net_read_timeout         | 60    |
| net_write_timeout        | 60    |
| slave_net_timeout        | 3600  |
| slow_launch_time         | 2     |
| timezone                 | EDT   |
| wait_timeout             | 28800 |

unfortunately we are still seeing these evil 2013 errors across all application boxes.
the errors still appear to be very random.

we are in the process of a much needed upgrade of php. any chance that upgrading php
will alleviate the problems?

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,

Kevin