I'm currently trying to setup replication following the directions from the mysql
manual, however, once I configure the slave server with the server-id parameter, it
fails to load. If I remove server-id=2 from my.cnf then the server starts up fine. I'm
hoping someone can help me out:

Master and Slace are both running mySQL 3.23.52

Master Config:

        [mysqld]
        datadir=/var/lib/mysql
        socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
        skip-innodb
        log-bin
        server-id=1

        [mysql.server]
        user=mysql
        basedir=/var/lib

        [safe_mysqld]
        err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
        Pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

Slave Config:

        [mysqld]
        datadir=/var/lib/mysql
        socket=/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
        master-host=192.168.0.8
        master-user=replicate
        master-password=password
        server-id=2

        [mysql.server]
        user=mysql
        basedir=/var/lib

        [safe_mysqld]
        err-log=/var/log/mysqld.log
        pid-file=/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

here is what the slave server logs when started (it appears to hang on each attempted
start/-restart):

        030604 15:44:42  mysqld started
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22065 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 2
        mysqld  process hanging, pid 22089 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22118 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22142 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld  process hanging, pid 22166 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22190 - killed
        030604 15:44:42  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22214 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section,         for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22238 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22262 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22286 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22310 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22334 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22358 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22382 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22406 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-inndb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22430 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22454 - killed
        030604  15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22478 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22502 - killed
        030604 15:44:43  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22526 - killed
        030604 15:44:44  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22550 - killed
[...]

        mysqld process hanging, pid 22595 - killed
[...]

        mysqld process hanging, pid 22640 - killed
        030604 15:44:44  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22664 - killed
        030604 15:44:44  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 0
[...]

        mysqld  process hanging, pid 22725 - killed
        030604 15:44:44  mysqld restarted
        Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
        If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
        skip-innodb
        to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
        or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
        section, for example,
        innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
        But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
        the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
        http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
        /usr/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections

        Number of processes running now: 1
        mysqld process hanging, pid 22749 - killed
        030604 15:44:44  mysqld restarted
        030604 15:44:44  Can't start server: Bind on TCP/IP port: Address already in
use
        030604 15:44:44  Do you already have another mysqld server running on port:
3306 ?
        030604 15:44:44  Aborting

        030604 15:44:44  /usr/libexec/mysqld: Shutdown Complete

        030604 15:44:44  mysqld ended