Hi Neil.

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 02:33:22AM -0230, Neil Zanella wrote:
> I believe that MySQL is in error in reporting the following message just
> because I did not specify that the PRIMARY KEY should not be NULL. These
> days there are standards and SQL92, AFAIK, specifies that if the primary
> key is not explicitly set to NOT NULL then the RDBMS should automatically
> and silently assume the user means NOT NULL. After all, any half decent
> book on relational databases out there will tell you that primary keys
> cannot be null. So why does MySQL do it this way. By doing this MySQL is
> breaking the portability of my standard SQL code which works so well with
> postgreSQL and Oracle 9i. So why donesn't MySQL play nice and abide to
> the standard? Is this fixed in MySQL 4? I am running MySQL 3.23.54a as
> distributed with Red Hat 9, which, for some reason has not decided to
> update their mysql RPMS to MySQL 4 for that release but I am interesting
> in knowing if this has been fixed in MySQL. I think one of MySQL's goals
> should be to support standards such as SQL92 (if not SQL99). Even if
> internally some things don't work as expected, at a minimum, the
> parsers should be compatible as much as possible, including
> standard data types and assuming primary keys are not null
> by default.

This bug was fixed in MySQL 4.0.13, after it was reported to our bug
tracking system here: http://bugs.mysql.com/390

As Peter Gulutzan notes in a comment to that bug, the previous behavior
was consistent with the SQL-92 standard, but that has been relaxed in
SQL-99, and we are currently working towards SQL-99 compliance.

Jim Winstead
MySQL AB