On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 15:33 , Paul DuBois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>This is a problem that is fixed in MySQL 4. If you can upgrade, that
>should help you a lot.
>
>http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/News-4.0.0.html

That explains that.  I was relying on the online docs and it didn't even
occur to me that there might be a version discrepancy.  Unfortunately, I'm
operating on a shared university database server, and chances are they
wouln't upgrade until 4.0 has been in use a while.  How much of a penalty am
I going to pay because of that filesort?  If I understand the docs correctly,
the filesort is only performed on entries that survive the WHERE clause.  If
that's the case, I'm assuming the speed hit would be minimized.

One thing that still puzzles me: should the index have kicked in on the ASC
query? or are my indexes designed badly?

Thanks for the input!

Jacob
--- Msg sent via [EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://mail.statisticalanomaly.com