John,

----- Original Message -----
From: ""John A. Sullivan III"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql
Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2003 7:58 AM
Subject: Maximum statements per connection problem

> I am having a nightmare of a time getting a single transaction across
> multiple tables to work in Borland's Kylix3 with MySQL.  It appears that
> the Borland driver is saying that the MySQL database only supports a
> single active statement per connection.
> When I issue an explicit begin transaction, that appears to count as an
> active statement.  When I then try to issue the update (or insert or
> delete) statement, that appears to be the second active command for the
> existing connection.  Since the Borland driver says the MySQL database
> is only allowing a single active command per connection, it clones a new
> connection to handle the update statement.  Of course, this new
> connection knows nothing of the transaction that was begun by the
> original connection.  This renders transaction support impossible with
> Borland's dbExpress and MySQL (even with InnoDB tables).
> Is there a way to configure MySQL to report that it will allow multiple
> active statements per connection? Otherwise, I'm not sure what to do if
> I want to use transactions (a must for my current project).  Thanks.

people have been complaining about this on Borland mailing lists for at
least a year now. I saw a Borland employee reply there a couple a weeks ago
that the MySQL transaction support is coming to dbExpress. Since Borland is
marketing their own database Interbase, they have somewhat conflicting
interests here.

I believe feedback to Borland or their newsgroups can speed things up.

> --
> John A. Sullivan III

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
http://www.innodb.com
Transactions, foreign keys, and a hot backup tool for MySQL
Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/